Saturday, July 3, 2010

Vermont: Part 3

Sexual Harassment Panda
July 27,2007
Anyone who has been on crew can tell you that women are a minority. Crews are mostly comprised of oversexualized boys 18-25. Anyone who's had a normal job can tell you about what is considered sexual harassment, and the consequences surrounding it. Apparently, none of my male counterparts on crew ever had a normal job.

When you're new, you are told no drinking, and no sex for the first two weeks. Just because you aren't allowed to fornicate for fourteen days doesn't mean the boys leave you alone about it until its 'ok'. Just about every day, the women on crew were subjected to hearing the boys say the most disgusting and depraved things about women walking down he street, women in the car next to us, and female Jones'. We weren't left out, as we were not excluded from hearing the same vomit inducing things about ourselves. The boys constantly solicited us for sexual favors, and reminded us of all the ways they could turn us into Audrey, and what is going to happen when those two weeks are up.

This day was like any other, woke up, got ready, had a meeting, and stopped at a gas station to get breakfast (for those who did not take advantage of the continental breakfast at the hotel). Alex, a new agent like myself, approaches me and strikes up a conversation. We have a good chat, as we do have a few things in common. He's a really shy guy and having a really hard time adjusting to crew life. He looks at me with the saddest eyes I've ever seen and says "I just want to be your friend, I'm not going to try and have sex with you like the other guys". I almost empty my stomach. I realize there is a shortage of women on crew, but Jesus Christ! No wonder some of the boys weren't selling anything, they were too busy thinking of ways to get in our pants! They could start by getting better pick up lines. "I'd beat!" Really? I like sex as much as the next person, but no woman in her right mind would let any of these degenerates do anything remotely resembling sex to them.

I'm starting to get into the groove of crew life. Hardly any sleep, aching body, blistered feet, sweat drenched clothes,constantly exhausted, dehydrated and hungry. Sure we got to eat, but crappy fast food isn't the best if you're working twelve hours a day. I've never really been a breakfast person but I've taken fancy to at least two(or one big) cups of coffee and no less than five cigarettes to get my day started. I've also joined the pack-a-day club. Not something myself and my wallet are particularly proud of. Smoking is fucking expensive,especially when you have a twenty dollar budget in the northeast.

The day wraps up earlier than usual. We are told to get the evening routine done quickly so everyone has a chance to get packed. Packed? Why? We are leaving Vermont the next evening. To where? The great state of New York, Long Island to be specific. The old heads are overwhelmingly excited about the upcoming venture. The top agents get to go to the Hamptons to sell. Is this some kind of a joke? The Hamptons? Playground of the uber rich and super famous? THEE Hamptons? What about the rest of us? Don't worry, there's plenty of T for the rest of us.

Another long, exhausting day on the books.

****

No comments:

Post a Comment

we welcome any and ALL comments...just no profane stuff...and keep it germaine to the site purpose...it's just a place to rant AND rave about life on crew...remember...you must preview comment...then post...hivelozity...getabunch!!